Marc Parés is Professor of Geography at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB Geography Department) and researcher at the Institute for Government and Public Policies (IGOP). From 2014 to 2016 he got a EU Marie Curie Fellowship, being visiting scholar at the New York University (Wagner School of Public Service) and the KU Leuven (Planning & Development). He has also been postdoctoral researcher at the University of Manchester (School of Environment, Education & Development) and visiting scholar at the University of Sussex (Geography Department). His research has been focused on the fields of Urban Governance, Citizen Participation, Urban Political Ecology, Environmental Management and Social Innovation.
- Yes We Rent! (LLOGUEM!)
- Commons co-production and territorial development in the Metropolitan Area of Barcelona (Report)
- Housing coproduction and participatory management: social initiatives, community capacities and public policies (COPHAB)
- Local Resilience Capacity Building for Flood Mitigation (CAPFLO Practical Guidelines)
- Social Innovation against the Crisis: how leadership practices and civic capacity improve neighbourhood development (SOCRISIS Book)
View all research activity...
- Parés, M. 2019. Socially innovative housing activism: local context and collective leadership practices in Barcelona and NYC. Housing Studies 34 (10): 1654-1672.
- Parés, M.; Ospina, S. and Subirats, J. 2017. Social Innovation and Democratic Leadership: communities and social change from below. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Parés, M.; Blanco, I.; Fernández, C. 2018. “Facing the great recession in deprived urban areas: how civic capacity contributes to neighborhood resilience” City & Community 17 (1): 65-86.
- Eizaguirre, S.; Parés, M. 2018. “Communities making social change from below. Social innovation and democratic leadership in two disenfranchised neighbourhoods in Barcelona” Urban Research and Practice.
- Parés, M.; Boada, J.; Canal, R.; Hernando, E.; martínez, R. 2017. “Challenging collaborative urban governance under austerity: How local governments and social organizations deal with housing policy in Catalonia (Spain)” Journal of Urban Affairs 39 (8): 1066-1084.
- Parés, M.; Brugué, Q.; Espluga, J.; Miralles, J.; Ballester, A. 2015. “Strengths and weaknesses of deliberation on river basin management planning: analysing the Water Framework Directive implementation in Catalonia (Spain)” Environmental Policy and Governance 25 (2): 97-110.
- Parés, M.; Martí-Costa, M.; Blanco, I. 2014. “Geographies of governance: how place matters in urban regeneration policies” Urban Studies 51 (15): 3250-3267.
- Parés, M.; March, H.; Saurí, D. 2013. “Atlantic gardens in Mediterranean climates. Understanding the production of suburban natures in Barcelona” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 37 (1): 328-347.
- Parés, M.; Martí-Costa, M; Bonet-Martí, J. 2012. “Does participation really matter in urban regeneration policies? Exploring governance networks in Catalonia (Spain)” Urban Affairs Review 42 (2): 238-271.
View all publications...
Autonomous University of Barcelona. Geography Department & IGOP. Lecturer and Researcher (2015-2017 and 2009-2014) / PhD Student (2002-2006)
Marie Curie Researcher. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, New York University (2014-2015)
Visiting Scholar at the Planning & Development Unit, KU Leuven (May – August 2016)
Postdoc Researcher at the School of Environment, Education & Development, University of Manchester (2007-2009)
Visiting PhD Student at the Geography Department, University of Sussex (September – December 2003)
View the entire Academic career...